Saturday, February 26, 2011

3rd Gotcha Day

It was three years ago that we met our precious Kenan for the first time.  He was 11 1/2 months old, just two weeks shy of his first birthday.  He had just started walking and was doing more falling down than anything else.  He was still taking a bottle every two hours and not sleeping through the night.  He was wearing fleece lined overalls and two shirts even though it was nearly eighty degrees.  He was used to being held constantly.  He was all smiles, giggles, and drool.

It is a moment that is burned into my memory forever and one that I will cherish and share with my husband and daughter who were there for this momentous occasion.  It's when I became a mommy again to a little boy who needed a family. 


My how time flies when the waiting is over.  It doesn't seem like three years have gone by at all.  Isn't it strange how perspectives change from the other side?  The baby that was placed in our arms is a baby no more.  He runs, talks, plays video games, goes to preschool.  It never ceases to amaze me just how well he fits our family.  I absolutely adore him, even when he throws a temper tantrum. 


On our 3rd Gotcha Day anniversary we went to our favorite chinese restaurant.  I know... If we could find a Guatemalan restaurant we'd go there... After waiting an hour and fifteen minutes we were finally seated and as hungry as he was, all the boy wanted to eat was the cookies.  He did try some chicken but that night was all about the fortune cookies.


He gave them two thumbs up!


We know how blessed we are with this handsome little guy.  I pray we never take for granted the gift we've been entrusted with.  There are a number of people I know who are still in the waiting phase.  Waiting to be picked by a birth mom, waiting to finally have a child of their own.  I want to offer them hope and encouragement.  I know, I understand.  It's hard.  Probably harder than you thought it would ever be.  More importantly, God knows.  Even though we can't see it, there IS an end in sight.  Hold on and don't ever give up.  Trust me, it's worth every tear. 

1 comment:

Faith said...

Such a blessing!! So thankful for all that God has done in your sweet family's life.

And, I greatly appreciate your prayers =)

Hugs,
Faith